bibledoorajar.blogspot.com

Good Food!!

Good Food!!

About Me

I am a retired VA employee who lives in Texas. I consider the characters of the Bible "family" as much as any I know or have known on earth. To be one of the Lord's beloved is the greatest thing I know. What good company!

Monday, July 30, 2018

Bibledoorjar: More Numerous and More Distinguished

Balak got the word that Balaam would not come and help him against the Israelites, but he did not give up. He pulled out his biggest and greatest guns. Sending other officials more numerous and distinguished, they came to Balaam and said:

“This is what Balak son of Zippor says: Do not let anything keep you from coming to me, because I will reward you handsomely and do whatever you say. Come and put a curse on these people for me.”
 But Balaam answered them, “Even if Balak gave me all the silver and gold in his palace, I could not do anything great or small to go beyond the command of the Lord my God.  Now spend the night here so that I can find out what else the Lord will tell me.” Numbers 22

Balak knew of his power and the important men under him. He was sure that their status and abilities along with even more riches for Balaam would sway the prophet to come and place a curse on the people. However, what he did not know was that the God of Heaven and Earth was also impressing Balaam and that Balaam knew He had the power to stop him from going. The prestigious men spent the night in order that Balaam might find out if God had anything else to say to him.

That night God came to Balaam and said, “Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you.”

However, this was not exactly what Balaam did. Instead of waiting on God to give him further information and/or instructions as to what to say to Balak, he got up the next day and saddled his donkey. He rode out to the awaiting men with two of his servants with him ready for the trip. This made God very angry.

Apparently, it is important to seek God early in the morning after a night of "sleeping on it." Balaam's biggest mistake was not being expectant the next morning and so he moved out on his own awareness. Was God not his God the next morning? Why was he not still waiting on HIs command? Is He still our God after a night of prayer and waiting? Do we arise to seek Him yet again? Let's hope we never forget.

I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And Step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days
Michael W. Smith, Step by Step

No comments:

Post a Comment